Saturday, October 10, 2009

Habitat for Humanity Walk

Today I did something unusual for me - I contributed my time and effort to help raise money for Habitat for Humanity, San Fernando Valley/Santa Clarita Valley.

I signed up less than a week before the event and via the social sites I belong to, managed to help raise a whopping $100.00.  My little bit in the bucket contributed to buying - say - a package of nails.  I like that idea very much.

I had a client who produced 'fasteners.' Fasteners are the itty-bitty screws that hold an airplane together.  I mean they really do hold an airplane together.  If you don't believe me, look out your window, next time you are on a plane and start counting those little suckers.  There are approximately 8,000 fasteners per airplane.

Nails hold a house together. And when a house is held together, a family can hold together.  When the house is well-built, as these are, then the family has a chance to grow inside it's sturdy walls and flourish.

So I like very much the idea that walking 5 kilometers and raising $100.00 will help buy a box of nails that will hold a family together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

success often lies in the detail, the small things, often overlooked in the scheme of things. My wife and I had an argument this morning - triggered, as we later found out when figured out why we were fighting, by her Braun hair thingy!

This posting is a good reminder to remind ourselves of those little, but important things.