Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Texting with the Belgian Cousins

Michelle and Nathalie are progressing down the California coastline. We are keeping in touch via a "go phone" they purchased on arrival at San Fran airport. What we discovered is texting is far easier than trying to talk to each other.

They are in a relaxed, zen state due to their Belgian gov't policy of 5 weeks a year vacation. So they are meandering down Highway 1, hitting Monterey, Santa Cruz and Carmel. Time is not of the essence.

I, on the other hand, am caught up with D#1 and D#2. Both have colds with sore throats, grumpiness and expectations that I will wait on them hand and foot. Of course, once they are well my roll will be relegated back to chauffeur and ATM.

So texting is the way to go. As I was reviewing the thread, it occurred to me that I was texting in French (very eroded skills) and they are using English. The thread was pretty funny, so I decided to transcript it letter for letter so we can all see why foreign language skills are so key to that which gives our lives meaning.

Me: Pt. Lobos State Reserve. Juste sud de Carmel sur la route 1. Highway 1. Bonne journee. ( second line means: just south of Carmel.)

Them: "C'est la que je voulais aller justememt! Bonne journee et merci!" Translation: that is were a was intending to go. Good day and thanks.

Me: "Demande la ville comment suivre la route "1". I'll y a des carts pars toutes." Translation: ask the town how to follow route 1. I"ll there are postcards in all parts.

Me: "I meant to write "maps". Try the visitors bureau in carmel or any hotel."

Them: "We already have maps, no trouble to get to point lobos."

Them: "We're watching the birds fly Pt. Lobos over the sea. We're having a great day."
(That's a first!)

M: "Supere. It's so beautiful!" Translation: super dad.

Them: "Still hot weather in LA?"

Me: "La temperature va etre tres chaud. Vers les 94C. Translation: The temperature will be very hot. Around 201 degrees!"

Did I mention that Michelle is a French grammar teacher?

No comments: